feedburner
Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

feedburner count

SOUTH BANK MODERNIST AND BRUTALIST BEAUTY - PART 1

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

Royal Festival Hall, South Bank, London
All Rights Reserved

I have a thing for the South Bank and only found it out the other day. Not that I am getting bored with London but when I go out and about it doesn't feel new or exciting any more. When I were a nipper Oxford St and Regent St encouraged a 'WOW!' from my mouth, sometimes a "COR!" Even when I went clubbing in my teens and 20's I always had the anticipation in my stomach when travelling down from Reigate in Surrey. But today, although I still love the place, it has lost its chutzpah you know? I would love to visit London from a non-Londoner perspective though, I wager I would get that wow factor back...

Shell Centre, South Bank, London
All Rights Reserved

But come in South Bank, this is my Waterloo! The place rocks and I love it!

Shell Centre, South Bank, London
All Rights Reserved

London Eye, South Bank, London
All Rights Reserved

The structures are fantastic from the Royal Festival Hall, The Hayward, Queen Elizabeth Hall, Purcell Room and Shell Centre right up to the present day London Eye. Although all fall into the modernism/modern 'bracket' (I'm thinking London Eye is just modern) they are the only group of structures that look different to each other yet complement and respect the space they are in, together with the space their neighbours are in. Foresight by the architects and planning departments or a unique turn of events that just work? The latter bodes well in my mind.

The Hayward, South Bank, London
All Rights Reserved

The atmosphere down there is always vibrant and the place spacious enough to make sure you don't feel squashed, unlike Borough Market these days. Get to market by midday and my God you will have problems getting around the stalls. But if you do go there then head for the hot cider place. Cockles will get warmed quick sharpish like.

Royal Festival Hall, South Bank, London
All Rights Reserved

Just outside the Royal Festival Hall every 2 months (last one was on the 15th Feb 2009), there is a 'Slow Food London Market'. The visiting stalls set up with food, drink and bits to take home or eat on the fly (spit roast pig, pies, stout, oysters, wine, cakes). Of course there are plenty more places to go when the market isn't there; I suggest a day or two to seek them out.

London Eye, South Bank, London
All Rights Reserved

I have concentrated this page to the Waterloo end but the South Bank stretches further round the Thames to the east. Hope you enjoyed some of my pictures, more will follow as I start spending my weekends and evenings down there.




0 comments:

Post a Comment